Quick disconnect couplings provide fast and easy connection and disconnection of fluid lines in industrial equipment, machinery and tooling. Quick disconnects are used to replace existing connections that require tools to assemble or disassemble.
Otherwise known as quick connect fittings or quick release couplings, high-quality quick disconnect (QD) couplings can reduce the time required for service, repair and replacement of your hydraulic hose assembly while preventing fluid leaks.
QD fittings have different pressure limitations and choosing the wrong one can impact flow rate and performance. Be sure to match the fitting to the hydraulic hose assembly and the application’s desired service pressure. Other things to consider when choosing a quick disconnect include:
- Pressure requirements and limitation of hose assembly
- Flow capacity and flow rating
- Tubing and hose material selection
- Fluid compatibility
- Temperature compatibility
- Chemical exposure
- Seal material
- Orifice ratings
There are several types of quick disconnect couplings and include snap-type (common ball-latching variety), bayonet, threaded and non-latching. Additionally, based on your needs, you can choose single or double shut-off, non-shut-off and dry-break configurations.
Snap-type QD couplings (ball-latching) are the most common fitting and are designed with a spring-loaded mechanism that automatically locks the two halves of a fitting together and can be released by simply pulling back on the sleeve.
Non-latching QD couplings are used when frequent changeouts are required and are comprised of self-sealing valves on both halves for automatic shut-off.
Single shut-off QD couplings have a shut-off valve in the internal half of the assembly.
Double shut-off QD couplings have shut-off valves on both internal and external ends.
Dry-break QD couplings are used when leak avoidance is critical and ensure both ends are fully closed before disconnection.
8 Questions to Ask to select the proper coupling solution
When selecting the proper coupling solution your job requires, consider the following:
- How many components are in the fluid path?
- Will this be a new build or require retrofitting?
- Does the assembly require a shut-off mechanism?
- Do you prefer hand-fitting or tool tightening for connections?
- How much space do you need to service the coupling and assembly?
- Does the application require corrosion-resistance material?
- Is a dry-breaking disconnection required (zero spill)?
- How many lines need to be connected or disconnected simultaneously?
Have questions on improving the safety and efficiency of your hydraulic hose systems?
Give us a call at 314-638-6500 OPTION 4.
Dixon Quick Disconnect Couplings for Common Hydraulic Applications
For high-performing quick disconnect couplings, count on Dixon Valve & Coupling to deliver uncompromised durability and reliability in your toughest jobs.
Designed to stand up to the rigors of industrial applications in agriculture, transportation, food and beverage, manufacturing and more, their line of quick disconnects are engineered to perform above industry standards. Here are a few of their top-rated QD solutions:
Dixon HT Series
Dixon HT Series quick disconnects are designed for construction equipment, Skid-Steer, Bobcat™ and excavator attachments and hand tools. HT Series are made from steel and SS316 and available in sizes to meet almost any requirement. HT Series has interchange capability with other brands as necessary. Meets ISO 16028, HTMA (3/8” only). Ideal for oilfield, industrial hydraulic and construction.
- High flow
- Low-pressure drops
- No-spill design
- Compact with shorter overall length and reduced weight
- Improved laminar flow
- Locking sleeve, push to connect
Dixon HTE Series Equaliser
Dixon HTE Series Equaliser quick disconnect coupling is made from steel and SS316 available in sizes 3/8” to 1” – BSP, NPT and ORB (UNF). Ideal for hydraulic applications where connection against residual pressure is required. Also used in applications such as mobile construction equipment, Skid-Steer, Bobcat™ and excavator attachments and hand tools. Meets ISO 16028.
- Use with HT or HTZ couplers
- Connect Under Residual Pressure Design
- Non-linear connection for all pressures
- Connectable with trapped pressure on HTE half only
Dixon K Series
Dixon K Series quick disconnect couplings are made from steel and SS316 and features stainless steel balls, retaining rings and springs for maximized corrosion resistance. Ideal for mobile applications including dump trucks, waste trucks, truck-trailer connections, excavators, backhoes, hydraulic hand tools and more.
- Meets interchange capability with other brands as necessary
- Steel coupler sleeves hardened to resist deformation
- Meets standards ISO 7241 Series A, ANSI/NFPA B93.113M-A
Dixon T Series
Dixon T Series quick disconnect coupling is ideal for hydraulic pumping equipment, hydraulic toe jacks, hydraulic bottle jacks, rescue cutting equipment, hydraulic jack up units. Dixon T Series body material is made from steel and SS316 and has interchange capability with other brands as necessary. Meets standard ISO 14550.
- Ball and poppet valves available
- Chrome steel ball mechanically seat for low pressure performance
- Available in sizes ¼” to 3/8”
WS-Series High Pressure Wingstyle Female Coupler
Dixon WS-Series High Pressure Wingstyle Female Coupler is ideal for use in oil fields and off shore oil rig applications. Its stainless-steel retaining rings and springs maximize corrosion resistance and service life. The main valve seal of the Dixon WS-Series High Pressure Wingstyle Female Coupler is housed to improve seal integrity during pressurized connection/disconnection.
- 5000 PSI maximum operating pressure
- 25100 PSI Burst pressure rating
- For use in temperature ranges of -40°F to 250°F
Need help selecting the right coupling for your application?
Quick Disconnect Coupling Tips for Safer Operation from Dixon Valve & Coupling
Sometimes, hose failure is unavoidable. Many times, however, unexpected failure and worker injury can be avoided with proper installation and maintenance. Avoid hydraulic hose failure with better quick disconnect coupling practices from Dixon:
- Always wipe the coupling cavities and faces clean before connecting a coupling
- Connect coupling before installation to ensure that it works properly
- Always check the body seals before connecting a coupling
- Shut-off power source before connecting a coupling
- Always install a Safety-Check valve on a pneumatic line and/or compressor
- Always use a Safety-Cable on large air lines (½” lines and larger)
- Always use a Whip Hose on hydraulic or air tools
- Use dust caps or plugs when couplings are not in use
- If the locking sleeve is inoperable, check the safety lock
- Wear safety glasses or goggles while connecting or disconnecting a coupling
Learn how Dixon’s Quick Disconnect Couplings Prevent Accidental Disconnects. Watch: Dixon’s Quick Coupling locking sleeve feature
Give us a call at 314-638-6500 OPTION 4 and speak to a knowledgeable representative today!
Superior Industrial Supply knows how important it is to have durable and reliable equipment for your most demanding applications. It’s why we specialize in hydraulic hose assembly and repairs. Give us a call at 314-638-6500 OPTION 4 or 800-783-6501 and let us know how we can help you find the products, services and advice you need to do just that.